Camogli, also known as the “City of the thousand white sails” is an ancient fishing village, which has remained intact since the time when the local captains and ship-owners conquer the seas around the world.In 1798, the city had a large contingent of Napoleon’s fleet, which was beaten in Egyptian waters of the Nile by Admiral Nelson.
Camogli’s prestigious naval college founded in 1874, Cristoforo Colombo is the nautical tradition as well as a retirement home for masters.
To breathe a bit of Camogli’s story just visit the historic center, characterized by tall houses with decorated facades (the colours once helped the fishermen of Camogli, easier to catch the way back to their port), leaning against each other, wander through the “caruggi” (narrow allies) of the medieval village or visit the Maritime Museum, the Museum Archaeology and the Public Library with the historic Napoleonic room, Castel Dragone dominated the harbour.
Today the castle is just a square tower with four watchtowers, kept in perfect condition. The Castle Dragon gives its name to the famous pirate xebec Dragun.
In 1954 off the coast of the abbey San Fruttuoso at a depth of 17 Mt, was placed an eight feet high bronze statue of the Christ of the Abyss, representing a Christ with his face and hands outstretched toward the sky.
San Fruttuoso is dominated by the Abbey, built in part around the X-XI century in Romanesque style, and in part, specifically the part towards the sea, in the thirteenth century Gothic.
The Millennial Church which is located on the Ruta crossing, the crossroads of ancient streets, 281 meters above sea level.
The San Rocco church which is placed on a square overlooking the sea, about 300 meters above sea level offers a magnificent view, and finally San Nicolò church has been a national monument since 1910. All tree churches are of considerable prestige.
Maritime Museum “Gio Bono Ferrari”
Via Gio Bono Ferrari, 42
+39 0185 729 049
Archaeology Museum c/o Civic Library
Via Gio Bono Ferrari, 41
+39 0185 771 570